Wednesday, November 15, 2023

The end of Mint.com (and Mojito) is coming soon...

 Hi All,

I'm sure you have all heard by now that Intuit is shutting down Mint on January 1, 2024, and encouraging users to switch to Credit Karma (which is also owned by Intuit). Since Credit Karma almost certainly has different APIs (application programming interfaces) than Mint, this switch will effectively kill Mojito also. We had a good 10 year run with Mojito, but our luck has finally run out.

Personally, I haven't yet figured out what I'm going to do next to download and aggregate my financial data. I'm kind of hesitant to switch to Credit Karma because I'm fairly certain Intuit's business model will be to sell everything about me to their "partners" (just like they do with Mint) ... because free isn't really "free", right?

Under the hood, Credit Karma uses Plaid, which is a financial programming platform that provides APIs for accessing thousands of financial institutions. My initial thought was to use Plaid directly and copy, or customize, one of the existing solutions on GitHub to fetch my financial data: https://github.com/search?q=plaid+google+sheets&type=repositories. Unfortunately,  I discovered that I can't connect to my bank, credit card, or investment company using Plaid's Quickstart application, so that plan might not work out (or, at least, will take more time to sort out than I expected). However, you might have better luck. I highly recommend you check out that link. Maybe you'll find a solution that works for you!

IF I am able to come up with a solution that would be useful to others, I'll post a message here. Good luck to all of you. Thanks for being devoted Mojito users all these years!

-b3

7 comments:

  1. I am very frustrated that I will no longer be able to use your wonderfuly Mojito. I was hoping Id at least be able to sync my financials through the end of the year but I am not able to get the copy and paste from the user row working. Does it still work and I am doing it incorrectly? Or has mint already changed things so that it no longer works. Thanks a million for the years of being able to use your creation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth. It's still working for me. When you paste the cookie data ("Copy as Node.js fetch") into Mojito's Mint Authentication window and click OK, do you see an error? Or ... what happens exactly? Feel free to send me a screen shot or any additional info to b3devs@gmail.com. Hopefully we can get things working again before Intuit pulls the plug.

      Delete
  2. Is it possible to manually enter transactions into Mojito on the TxnData Tab and still have the rest of the spreadsheet function? Maybe simply disabling the split function script would be able to make that work? I'd love to continue using this even if it means I have to manually enter all my data every month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, manually entering transactions should work. Is it just the Split prompt that's making it cumbersome? Or are there other annoyances?

      Beware that if you sync with Mint (it is still working as of this writing), your manually entered transactions will likely get removed.

      Delete
    2. Yes it automatically starts the split routine and the popups that edits cannot be made to certain fields like which account the transaction is for come up. Forgive the ignorance if there is an easy way to work around this I'm not realizing. Was hoping to essentially build a firm link that I could just enter transaction data that would populated across the sheet

      Delete
    3. I came up with a snippet of code you can add to your copy of Mojito to allow "manual editing mode" on the TxnData sheet. To apply this change, do the following:
      1. In the Mojito spreadsheet, on the menu bar at the top, select the Extensions > Apps Script menu item. (a new browser window will open)
      2. In the Apps Script editor, select the "SheetTriggers.gs" on the left, if it isn't selected already.
      3. On the right, find the "function onEdit(e) {" line.
      4. Replace the entire function (from the "{" to the "}") with the following:

      function onEdit(e) {
      var sheet = e.range.getSheet();
      var sheetTypeCell = sheet.getRange(MojitoLib.Const.SHEET_TYPE_CELL);
      var sheetType = sheetTypeCell.getValue();

      if (sheetType === MojitoLib.Const.SHEET_TYPE_TXNDATA) {
      // Allow manual editing on TxnData sheet (disconnected from Mint)
      var editRowFirst = e.range.getRow();
      var editCol = e.range.getColumn();
      var firstRow = sheet.getFrozenRows() + 1;

      if (editRowFirst < firstRow ||
      editCol === MojitoLib.Const.IDX_TXN_CATEGORY + 1 ||
      editCol === MojitoLib.Const.IDX_TXN_TAGS + 1 ||
      editCol === MojitoLib.Const.IDX_TXN_CLEAR_RECON + 1)
      {
      MojitoLib.Sheets.Triggers.onEdit(e);
      }
      }
      else {
      // Handle editing of other sheets like normal
      MojitoLib.Sheets.Triggers.onEdit(e);
      }
      }

      5. Save the changes (Ctrl + S or click the floppy disk icon) and close the Apps Script window.
      6. You should now be able to edit all of columns on the TxnData sheet without extra validation being performed; except the Category or Tags columns (they will still be validated)

      Hope this helps.

      Delete
    4. Ugh. I forgot that Blogger removes extra spaces, so the code above lost its formatting. Oh well, it should still work as-is despite being harder to read.

      Delete